Ads 468x60px

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Chosen Shoes

Chosen Shoes



It's not every day a young footwear designer gets the Duchess of Cambridge's  seal of approval, but that's exactly what happened yesterday to 20-year-old Becka Hunt - after the royal commissioned her to create a pair of shoes, and named her the winner of a student competition."It's was so exciting," Hunt told us last night. "It was all a bit emotional - I just met Kate and now I'm making a pair of shoes for her! She's so, so beautiful and really nice. She makes you feel really relaxed. She came and looked at all the shoes individually and then asked who had designed what. She said that they were all amazing and congratulated everyone."
Originally from Peterborough, Hunt was told she'd won the competition by De Montfort University's vice chancellor and could not be more pleased. She celebrated last night with drinks with her boyfriend, before heading down to London to appear on television show Daybreak this morning.
"I never thought anyone high-profile would wear my shoes - let alone Kate," she said. "I tried to make them very personal - the colour was the same as her engagement ring and I wanted to make them very elegant like Kate's own style. I also looked to the 19th Century because a lot of the shoes from that period were very regal - then I gave the design a modern twist."The shoes will now be given to one of the university's technicians, who will make the uppers, before being sent to a factory where they will be produced.
"I think these shoes would look best in the evening with something simple because they're quite over-the-top, but if Kate wears them anywhere I'll be over the moon," said Hunt. The Duchess of Cambridge has selected 20-year-old Becka Hunt as the young footwear designer to create her a bespoke pair of shoes. The royal chose from six styles made by De Montfort University students, as part of a competition launched last month.The winning pair, which will now be made and worn by the Duchess, were inspired by 19th Century designs and her take on Catherine's personal style. The chosen shoes were made using blue suede, feature delicate lace beading and an open front."I am absolutely overwhelmed, excited and amazed," said Hunt. "The attention I have had since I was announced as the winner is all a little scary to be honest, but I have to say it has been great fun and hopefully this will be good for a future career."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

count